Sunday, July 11, 2010

Barrel Torso Banned

The time in life has finally arrived when barrel torso is an issue. As women age do they have to develop barrel torso? You've all seen it and you know what I'm talking about; let's ban barrel torso. The thought of visceral fat surrounding my internal organs has me rethinking what I eat and how much I eat. I've been blessed with pretty good genes and the women in my family are trim, but even too much healthy food can take a toll. I also enjoy cooking and eating, very much so. And I love dessert. And bread. And butter. And.......well the list goes on:) I also like my blue jeans and being fit.

So the question became what do I like more? Being fit and fitting into my blue jeans, or eating? I want both; so this blog is about sharing healthy recipes, creating new recipes, and getting others involved in the same journey. If I burn more calories than I eat I'll be trim, feel better, have more energy and able to do the other things in life that I love such as spending time with family and friends. Speaking of my family, I am the family cook and I'll talk about that in my next post. Meanwhile try out the following recipe; it's a copy cat of Panera's strawberry salad and I found the dressing recipe on the Internet. The dressing is non-fat and a real winner.

Fresh Strawberry and Blueberry Salad

Romaine lettuce
Fresh strawberries
Fresh blueberries
Pineapple (fresh is so much better than canned)
Mandarin oranges
Walnuts - if you're a nut lover, we leave out the walnuts since they are so high in calories

Add a little chicken or turkey for the savory taste; I like to pepper the turkey before I add it to the salad.

Here's the killer dressing:
1/2 cup fat free mayo
1/4 cup milk - we use soy milk
1/4 cup Splenda
1/8 cup vinegar
Poppy seeds - you decide how many

3 comments:

  1. Try it with just the strawberries, blueberries, a few slices of lunch meat and the dressing. I like that combo the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds great! i'm looking forward to reading your blog, debbie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it and that it inspires you to cook healthy things for your family. Our best family times were, and still are, gathered around the table eating together. As homeschoolers we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner together and it was such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete